You are here

Domesting and international freight transportation

Restrictions on freight

Does a truck driver arriving to Estonia with a shipment of goods need to spend 14 days in isolation at home or can he return abroad immediately?

He can return abroad immediately, as the 14-day restriction on movement does not apply to transporters of goods or raw materials, and persons involved with international haulage of goods and passengers. If the driver is symptomatic, he must remain in isolation at home for 14 days and contact his family doctor.

More information from the order of the person in charge of the emergency situation:

Could Lithuania stop sourcing milk from Estonia?

The Lithuanian Minister of Agriculture has confirmed that the dairy industry will continue to buy milk. Controls will be carried out for all the batches of milk. Estonian milk is of a very high quality and is still awaited on the Lithuanian market.

Is it allowed to import food from other countries, such as Spain? Is there a danger of spreading the virus with imported goods?

No restrictions are currently imposed on the carriage of goods, regardless of the type of goods. Therefore, all foods can be imported to Estonia. As far as we know, the virus does not survive on surfaces very long, and is likely to be destroyed during the journey. Nevertheless, we recommend following all hygiene rules, it is important to clean packages and hands after handling the goods.

Does it matter what goods are being transported across the border, for example whether they are car parts or clothes or anything else, or can goods be transported across the border in any case?

There are currently no restrictions on the transport of goods if they are being transported for business purposes.



Is unlicensed carriage of goods permitted, what kind of accompanying documents are necessary, and would the quarantine obligation apply?

International carriage of goods is permitted, including unlicensed carriage.

Commercial carriage of goods must be accompanied by the following documents per vehicle:

  • a certified copy of the Community authorisation granted to the carrier of an EU or EEA Member State (exemptions for international carriage are provided for in Road Transportation Act Art 6(1) – for example, carriage in the EU at own expense);
  • a consignment accompanying document (CMR or so-called “loading list”);
  • a transport authorisation or CEMT licence under an international agreement, if goods are transported to a third country from Estonia, or from a third country to Estonia by a carrier from Austria, Bulgaria, Spain, Croatia, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Sweden, Germany, Finland, Hungary, Germany;
  • need to certify when entering with an unladen vehicle the grounds and destination of the carriage (e.g. a transport haulage order).

In the case of own-expense carriage of goods the driver must be in possession of documentation which proves that this cargo is owned by the operator organising the carriage of goods, or the company has purchased, sold, repaired, mined, or processed the goods. This carriage of goods needs to follow also other requirements laid down in Article 1(5)(d) of Regulation (EC) No 1072/2009 of the EU, but in the emergency situation the verification of these requirements would constitute too much of a burden.

Persons directly involved in the carriage of goods are exempt from movement restriction.

When importing the goods, a problem occurred with original certificates. Can I use a copy of the original during the crisis?

Yes, goods may also be imported into the European Union using the copy of the certificate as a temporary crisis measure.

How to forward a copy depends if the third country outside the EU has access to EU TRACES system.

  • If they have access, the copy can be forwarded using TRACES.
  • If they do not have access, the copy has to be e-mailed from the e-mail address of the competent authority of the third country directly to the e-mail address of the border inspection point. This list of acceptable border crossing points is on the website of the European Commission DG Sante, and they are classified as follows:

The European Commission has informed the EU external trade partners and embassies of this possibility, and the similar arrangements have been requested from the third countries because many EU exporters have had problems with submitting the original certificates.



Is it possible for carriers of raw materials (feed) that are essential for the operation of the company and survival of the animals to cross the border more quickly?

The longer waiting order at the border than usual is natural in the present circumstances, but we will do our best to ensure that the crossing of the border is as smooth and fast as possible for all.

Are domestic animals cargo, ie does the exemption for carraige of goods apply?

Crossing the border with your dog or a cat is not a carriage of goods. The carriage of cargo at own expense must be accompanied by the document certifying the cargo is owned by the cargo operator/person or has been purchased, sold, repaired, mined, processed by the company arranging the transportation. There are also other requirements laid down in Article 1(5)(d) of Regulation (EC) No 1072/2009 of the EU regarding the carriage of cargo at own expense, but in exceptional circumstances the verification might constitute too much of a burden.


Last updated: 4 June 2020