You are here

Crossing the Estonian border

Who is allowed to enter Estonia?

People who are allowed to enter Estonia:

  • Persons who hold Estonian citizenship, have a residence permit or a right of residence in Estonia, or whose permanent residence is in Estonia according to the population register, regardless of whether they are symptomatic or not.

  • Citizens and residents of the European Union, the European Economic Area countries, the Swiss Confederation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or the Principality of Andorra, the Principality of Monaco, the Republic of San Marino, and the Vatican City State (the Holy See), as well as persons holding a long-stay visa who are not symptomatic, and their family members who are not symptomatic.

  • All persons who arrive to the Republic of Estonia from the European Union or the Schengen Area countries, or from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and are not symptomatic.

  • Foreign nationals arriving from third countries who come to Estonia for work or study and are not symptomatic.

  • Starting from June 21, 2021 entry into Estonia for travelling is allowed for persons who are asymptomatic, who are arriving from all third countries and have finished the course of vaccination against COVID-19, achieved the maximum protection after the last dose of the vaccine, and no more than one year has passed from it.

Self-isolation is mandatory for everyone who are symptomatic.

Self-isolation for asymptomatic individuals depends on the country from which they started their journey or countries through which they transited. People arriving in Estonia from at-risk countries have an obligation to remain in self-isolation for 10 days upon arrival. If they wish to reduce their period of self-isolation, they must get tested no earlier than 72 hours before they arrive in Estonia, and can get tested in Estonia on the sixth day from the abovementioned test. The self-isolation can be terminated before the tenth day if the results of both tests are negative. It is also possible to get tested immediately after arrival in Estonia. In this case, it is also possible to reduce the self-isolation period with a second test that is done no earlier than 6 days after the first test, and both of those must be negative. The period of 6 days will be calculated from the day following the first test.

All persons who have done their first test in another country (i.e. not at the border) must book the appointment for a second test themselves, by calling the call centre's line for people crossing the border 678 0000 (Monday to Friday 9.00 to 17.00).

Information on the list of countries and self-isolation requirements for arrivals to Estonia is available on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

If a person who comes to Estonia from a third country to study or to work comes from a country or transits through a country that is not listed on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or is listed as 'red', they must remain in self-isolation, which means that the employer or educational institution ensures the following:

  • the transport of the employee or student, and the opportunity to be in self-isolation for 10 days upon arrival in Estonia;

  • testing of the employee or student for COVID-19 immediately upon arrival in Estonia and re-testing no sooner than on day 6 of their stay in Estonia,

  • employees may not take up employment and students may not begin their studies within the first 10 days from arrival in Estonia,

  • employees may start work and students may begin their studies on day 11, provided that their second COVID-19 test is negative.

As an exception, the following asymptomatic persons may enter Estonia:

  • employees of a foreign diplomatic representation or a consular office in Estonia, their family members, or foreign nationals arriving to Estonia in the framework of international military cooperation,

  • persons who are directly involved with transporting goods or raw materials, including the loading of goods or raw materials,

  • person who is a member of a foreign delegation arriving in Estonia at the invitation of the authority of the state or local government entity, in order to attend a work-related meeting,

  • providers of healthcare or other services necessary for solving the emergency situation,

  • persons who are directly involved in the international carriage of goods or passengers, including crew members serving on an international means of transport and persons performing repairs, warranty, or maintenance services on a means of transport,

  • persons who provide services to groups of passengers and are directly involved in the provision of passenger transport services,

  • persons whose purpose of arrival in Estonia is to ensure the operability of an essential service,

  • persons whose arrival in Estonia is related to the maintenance, repair, warranty, or information and communication technology of equipment of an enterprise operating in Estonia, where this is necessary to ensure the operation of the enterprise,

  • foreign nationals who are immediately passing through the territory of Estonia in order to reach their country of residence,

  • foreign nationals whose direct descendant or ascendant relative (descendant and ascendant relatives are parents and children, i.e. the exception described in the order does not extend to siblings, aunts and uncles, grandparents and grandchildren) or spouse, including a partner they are not married to on in civil partnership with, is an Estonian national, holder of an Estonian residence permit or the right of residence. at the border crossing, the burden of proof lies with the life partners who have to prove their partner status in order to receive permission to cross the border. To make the border crossing of the partner easier, we recommend sending the written confirmation of the Estonian citizen, or the foreign national who has the Estonian residence permit of right of residence, attesting that the arriving foreigner is their partner, to the Police and Border guard in advance.

  • foreign nationals who have received a special permit to enter the country from the Police and Border Guard Board. The application must be sent to ppa[at]politsei[dot]ee. The application for permission to cross the border in exceptional circumstances can be found on the website of the Police and Border Guard Board. The purpose of the special application is to allow third-country nationals to apply for crossing the external borders, for the purpose of entering Estonia under special circumstances for family reasons, such as funeral, wedding, illness of a family member, an indispensable meeting with a family member. A foreigner allowed to enter Estonia on the basis of a special application is subject to a general restriction of freedom of movement and must not leave their permanent place of residence or stay within 10 days.

The person arriving in Estonia can complete the electronic health declaration for crossing the border 72 hours before their arrival to Estonia. This will make the border crossing faster, and they do not have to wait in order to fill in a paper declaration.

What documents do I need to be able to prove on the border that I have been vaccinated against COVID-19?

The provider of health care services has an obligation to document a vaccination according to the requirements and forward the data to the Health Information System. If you have been vaccinated in Estonia, it is possible to see your own immunization data and, if necessary, print them out from the Patient Portal (immunization notification, epicrisis). It is also possible to prove vaccination with an immunization passport, that can be issued on paper by the provider of health care services.

People who have been vaccinated while abroad can prove their vaccination by presenting an immunization passport, its copy, or a relevant certificate, that contains, in Latin or Slavic alphabet and in Estonian, Russian or English, among other things, the data of the person immunized, e.g. the disease against which the immunization was done, the date of the immunization, the immunization agent that was used, its lot number, the dosage administered, how many doses have been administered to the person, and the name and other data of the provider of the immunization. The proof can also be an officially certified printout from a database of another country.

Will I be turned back from the border if I am ill?

If you are an Estonian citizen or resident, you will not be turned back from the border even if you have symptoms of the disease. Also, those foreign citizens, whose family members reside in Estonia, will also be allowed to enter the county.

At the border

  • your travel documents will be checked, as well as your reason for entering the country and
  • the state of your health will be visually checked.

How do the police monitor compliance with the restriction on freedom of movement?

Police provides official assistance to the Health Board in monitoring compliance with restrictions on movement. This means that when police officers see the movement restrictions set be the government being violated in the course of their every-day work, they talk with people and explain the risks involved in public gatherings. If the infringement continues, the police inform the Health Board, which may, if necessary, issue a prescriptive order and impose a penalty payment.

Where is it possible to find information on travelling between Estonia and Finland?

Starting from June 21, 2021 entry into Finland is allowed for all European Union citizens who have finished their course of vaccination at least two weeks before arrival to the country or who have recovered from COVID-19 within the last six months. Those who were born in 2005 and later are allowed to enter the country without a certificate of vaccination or recovery.

Regular labour migration will also be possible on ships starting from June 21. The rules enacted by the Finnish Health Board will remain in place for labour migration: if the person arriving does not have a vaccination certificate or a certificate attesting recovery from COVID-19, they have to do a second corona test 72 hours after arriving in Finland and remain in self-isolation until then.

Border control on the internal borders of the European Union will still remain in place until July 25. Entry into the country is also allowed for those who are not European Union citizens but own real estate in Finland.

More information on entry into the country, transit and testing on the border can be found here: (in Estonian)

Until June 15, 2021, entry into Finland is allowed for:

  • Estonian citizens who live in Finland and their family members. Living means that the person has registered their right of residence at the Finnish Immigration Service;

  • persons who study in Finland or need to go there for an unavoidable family reason (e.g. a funeral, a wedding, a sickness, a meeting with a close relative);

  • persons who work at positions that are important for the functioning of the society (including health care workers when performing work tasks) or persons and special groups who travel for other unavoidable reasons.

More information about entry into the country, transit and testing on the border can be found here: (in Estonian).

Do pilots also have the obligation to self-isolate and test after crossing the border?

Pilots fall under an exception in force, according to which they are not subject to the obligations to self-isolate and test if they are directly involved with international freight or passenger transport and are arriving in Estonia to perform professional duties.

Do pilots also have the obligation to self-isolate and test after crossing the border?

Pilots fall under an exception in force, according to which they are not subject to the obligations to self-isolate and test if they are directly involved with international freight or passenger transport and are arriving in Estonia to perform professional duties.

Who has to remain in self-isolation for ten days after entering Estonia?

All symptomatic persons have an obligation to self-isolate. Whether an asymptomatic person has an obligation to self-isolate depends on their country of departure or transit. Self-isolation is obligatory for people who come from an European country where the infection rate is higher than 75; if the infection rate is lower, there is no obligation to restrict one's movements. People who come from outside of Europe generally fall under the obligation to self-isolate. It is possible to shorten the self-isolation obligation by doing a coronavirus test, and this is recommended in any case.

Information about the countries and self-isolation obligations of those arriving in Estonia can be found on the homepage of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs: The list is updated every Friday with restrictions that go into force the following Monday. If a person coming from a risk country does not do a test, he will have to restrict his movements. This also applies to children (including those under the age of 12).

It is possible to do the test:

  • Citizens, residents, residence permit or long-term visa holders of Estonia and the European Economic Area may do the first test up to 72 hours before arrival. While in Estonia, it is possible to do another test no sooner than on the sixth day after the first test done abroad. If the results of both tests are negative, the person is released from the 10-day self-isolation requirement.
  • People who have not done a test up to 72 hours before arriving in Estonia may do the first test in Estonia immediately after arrival in the country and the second test no sooner than six days after doing the first test. The 10-day self-isolation may be ended before the deadline if the results of both tests are negative.
  • Third country (that is not in the list) citizens arriving from a third country, coming here to work or study, must do both tests in Estonia.

Testing is not required if a person has had COVID-19 and has been declared recovered by a doctor up to six months before arrival, or if a person has completed the course of COVID-19 vaccinations and no more than 12 months have passed since the date of completion.

Staying in self-isolation means that a person cannot leave their place of residence within 10 days, except at the order of a health care worker or police officer or for essential trips. For example, you can leave your home if your life is in danger or you need medical care, you need to renew food supplies, buy essential goods, purchase medicines, get fresh air. In all these cases, contacts with other people must be avoided. Therefore, you cannot go to work or go hiking on a populated hiking trail. But you can go outside for a run or to ride a bike, for example, if you do it without coming into contact with other people.

What kind of a declaration must a person present when crossing the state border?

At the border, a person entering the country must present their personal data and contact information, the data on underaged children that travelled with them, and travel information to the Health Board. Information that should be written down are the country of departure to Estonia, the date of arrival, and states that were transited during the trip, including countries where stopovers or transfers took place.

The declaration (a passenger locator form) can be submitted both on paper and electronically. The self-service portal of the Health Board can be found at the web page People who have had the virus, have been vaccinated, or are not subject to movement restrictions according to the order of the Government do not have to present the declaration if they can prove their status.

If a person subject to the obligation to present a declaration refuses to fill out the form, a penalty payment could applied to them.



Last updated: 3 June 2021