You are here

Travelling abroad from Estonia

I wish to travel abroad. How can I get information about entry to other countries?

Information about entry conditions to other countries can be found on the Reisi Targalt website (in Estonian).

When travelling, it is recommended to adhere to the following principles:

  • before planning a trip, check the information about the infection rate of the country of destination on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
  • you can find out about travel restrictions in the destination country from the Reisi Targalt website (in Estonian), the European Union ReOpen portal, and in more detail from a foreign representation of the destination country;
  • register your trip on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Reisi Targalt website, so we could inform you about possible crises;
  • follow the recommendations of the Health Board for a safe flight, if you get symptoms, postpone your trip and contact your family doctor;
  • purchase travel insurance and familiarise yourself with all the conditions (including for any travel disruptions caused by COVID-19);
  • when crossing the border, it is obligatory to fill out a declaration which can also be done electronically. The declaration can be filled out 24 hours before arrival in Estonia: Please hold on to the notification letter that you receive on your e-mail after you have filled out the form! The declarations can still also be filled out on paper, which you can find here (.docx in Estonian).
  • follow the instructions of local authorities in the country of stay and find out about possible new restrictions.
  • follow the rules in force in Estonia when returning from your trip, contact your family doctor in case of suspicion of the virus.
  • Any country may change the conditions for entry and stay in the country with a very short notice. For more detailed information on the conditions of the country of destination, we recommend contacting the foreign representation or authorities of the relevant country.

More information on the coronavirus and movement restrictions from the state information line 1247 (+372 600 1247 when calling from abroad).

I have health insurance. What do I need to know about health insurance when travelling in the European Union?

If you are going on holiday, you should take your European Health Insurance Card with you, as it is important if you have a health problem abroad. People from Estonia who have the European Health Insurance Card can get the medical help they need in the European Union and also in Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland on the same terms as insured people who live in those countries.

The card can be ordered digitally from the state portal and is free of charge.

To get medical treatment, you should present your European Health Insurance Card or a replacement certificate for it and an identity document at a medical institution. The card only entitles you to medical assistance at public healthcare institutions.

NB! Please note that the European Health Insurance Card does not necessarily cover all the costs of the medical care you need. You must pay yourself for visitation fees, bed fees, co-payments for medicines, translation costs, etc at the prices of the country you are in. The card does not cover the cost of international transport or the costs of a private doctor. We recommend that when you travel you should sign a travel insurance contract with an insurance company to cover your costs, depending on the insurance conditions.

For more information see:

Exceptionally, could an Estonian citizen or resident with a job in Russia cross the border for work?

No, this is not currently possible.

The Russian border is generally closed for entry to foreigners. People with a Russian residence permit or Russian citizens living in the European Union may enter Russia once.

The ban on entry does not apply to drivers of international goods vehicles, pilots, crews of sea and river boats, crew on trains travelling internationally, people issued visas because of the death of a relative, and people who reside permanently in the Russian Federation. Entry is also permitted for foreign athletes and coaches, and on one occasion only for people travelling for medical care or to care for sick relatives, and highly qualified specialists.

Further information on crossing the Russian border is available from the information line of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs +7(495) 587 8860, +7(499) 244 1977, +7 (499) 244 1988 and +7(499) 244 2847.

I am not vaccinated against COVID-19 -- am I now unable to go to other countries?

A valid vaccination certificate is not a basis for travelling abroad but, depending on the requirements of the destination country, may offer an exemption from certain restrictions that the country has enacted (e.g. self-isolation).

The requirements of the destination country for entering, the conditions for the self-isolation obligation, and restrictions in force on the spot need to be taken into account when travelling. Information on the conditions for entry into other countries can be found on the Reisi Targalt website (in Estonian).

Am I allowed to use for travelling the results of a corona test done with a family doctor's referral?

No, you are not. Testing with a family doctor's referral is aimed only at symptomatic persons. It is necessary for the quick identification and isolating of infected persons, in order to limit further spread of the virus. Doing a test with a family doctor's referral or as a close contact is free for an individual and the costs of the test are covered by the state.

A paid test necessary for travelling can be done at a service provider convenient for you. More information about the service providers can be found here:

It is possible to check on the border whether the passenger has paid for the test himself or used a family doctor's referral. An order number is automatically displayed on the certificate necessary for travelling.

If a person has done a corona test on the tenth day of being a close contact and the results are negative, she can use this test for travelling as well.

Similarly, if a person has returned from a foreign country and done two corona tests to shorten the period of self-isolation, the last test can be used for going back (i.e. as a pre-trip negative test).

Will maritime traffic continue between Estonia and Finland or Estonia and Sweden?

Maritime traffic continues, but you should always check with the shipping line if this specific route is operational.

What conditions apply to travelling between Estonia and Latvia?

Starting from May 3, it is allowed to cross the border between Estonia and Latvia daily for working or studying with only one corona test a week. The test results have to be negative or the person must have been declared unable to pose an infection risk. The rule concerns people who cross the border between Estonia and Latvia more than twice a week.

It is only allowed to enter Latvia for urgent and significant reasons: in addition to working and studying, also for health and family reasons, for transit, to accompany minors, to return to one's place of residence, for funerals (this does not concern Latvian citizens and residents who always have the right to enter the country). The objective of the trip has to be noted down in the form and the traveller must be able to prove it with documentation if necessary.

All persons entering Latvia have an obligation to present a coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 certificate of a negative PCR test that has been done no earlier than 72 hours before crossing the border (this includes road transport, transit, except for derogations). If the person has recovered from COVID-19 in the near past, a medical certificate confirming that the person is no longer an infection risk must be presented (an antigen test is not sufficient). A certificate of a negative test/a medical certificate does not release from the self-isolation requirement.

A 10 day self-isolation requirement applies when entering Latvia from Estonia

The same requirements apply to arrivals from Latvia to Estonia as do to arrivals from other European countries. This means that all persons who have crossed the Estonian national border must stay in self-isolation for 10 days. The self-isolation and testing requirements do not apply to people who have had COVID-19 within the previous 6 months, or have received a full course of vaccinations.

Similarly to arriving from other countries, the 10-day self-isolation can be reduced with testing. That requires two coronavirus tests with negative results. One of them up to 72 hours before arriving in the country or immediately after crossing the border, and the other test no sooner than six days after the first test.

The order creates an opportunity to return to Latvia before the end of the self-isolation period remains, if the reason for returning is unavoidable work, studying or a family event. In this case, the person must also have a coronavirus test with negative results, done no sooner than 72 hours before leaving in Estonia. The change is necessary primarily for enabling labour and educational mobility.

More information on travelling to Latvia and restrictions in Latvia can be found on the Reisi Targalt (Smart Travel) web page: (in Estonian).

Where is it possible to find information on travelling between Estonia and Finland?

Starting from July 26, Finland can be freely entered by citizens of all countries, provided that they can prove that they have been vaccinated with two doses of the vaccine or that they have recovered from the coronavirus. Also those who come from a country of origin that Finland estimates to have a low infection rate -- up to 10 infected persons per 100,000 residents.

Upon entering the country, the passenger has to present one of the following documents to the health officials:

  • the certificate of vaccination (at least 14 days have passed since the last dose of the vaccine);
  • the document proving recovery from COVID-19 (recovery within the past six months);
  • the COVID test certificate with a negative result (test done up to 72h before the trip).

Children born in 2006 and later are allowed to enter the country without the certificates of vaccination or recovery. As well as, for instance, diplomats, goods transport and logistics personnel, crews of ships, aircraft or trains, or people entering the country in order to counter an unexpected health or security related threat to the society's infrastructure.

If the stay in Finland is longer than 72 hours and there is no certificate of vaccination or recovery, or only one vaccine shot has been administered, it is compulsory to do a corona test no more than 72 hours after arrival in the country. All contacts must be avoided until the test results come in.

More information about entry into the country, transit and testing on the border can be found here: (in Estonian).

Do pilots also have the obligation to self-isolate and test after crossing the border?

Pilots fall under an exception in force, according to which they are not subject to the obligations to self-isolate and test if they are directly involved with international freight or passenger transport and are arriving in Estonia to perform professional duties.

Can I go on a cruise to Stockholm?

Starting from June 11 cruises on the route Tallinn-Stockholm-Tallinn are again allowed. At the same time, it is necessary to consider the restrictions on visiting Sweden, according to which you might end up in self-isolation upon returning to Estonia if the number of positive coronavirus tests per 100,000 inhabitants is higher than 75 in Sweden. The indicator is updated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs once a week on Fridays and it can be monitored on the web page of the ministry:

The self-isolation requirement does not apply to those:

  • who have recovered from COVID-19 and no more than six months have passed since they were declared recovered by a doctor;
  • who have completed the course of COVID-19 vaccinations and no more than one year has passed since the date of completion;
  • who are workers of a diplomatic representation or consular post of a foreign country or the Republic of Estonia or members of their family, or who hold a diplomatic passport of the Republic of Estonia;
  • who are arriving in the framework of international military cooperation;
  • who are arriving as members of a foreign delegation at the invitation of state of local authority unit institutions in order to carry out professional duties;
  • who are directly involved in the transport of goods or raw materials, including the loading of goods or raw materials, and arrives in Estonia to carry out professional duties;
  • who is arriving to provide health care services or other services necessary to solve the emergency situation;
  • who are directly involved with international goods or passenger transport, including a member of the team or crew servicing the means of international transport and a person performing repair, warranty or maintenance work on the means of transport, and in arriving in Estonia to carry out professional duties;
  • who is arriving to directly provide passenger transport service and is servicing tour groups;
  • who arriving with the objective of ensuring the functioning of a vital service;
  • who is traversing the territory of the Republic of Estonia without a delay (transit).


Last updated: 18 August 2021