Transport to Estonia and abroad

Several countries make exceptions for people performing their duties, including freight transport and logistics staff, which means that workers with no history of the disease don’t have to be tested for the coronavirus at the border or self-isolate. They may immediately leave the country again when performing their duties. The rules and restrictions in force vary from country to country and depend on the risk level.
Restrictions in force

In order to avoid the spread of the virus and getting infected, to protect the life and health of the people and to ensure the functioning of the society, it is necessary to follow the enacted restrictions and guidelines.

Restrictions in force
The meters of risk level

The main meters are the number on people infected with COVID-19 and the number of people hospitalised. The Government reviews the risk level once a week.

Instructions for how to behave at different risk levels

What do freight transporters have to keep in mind when entering Estonia? 

Person with no symptoms

  • Transporters of goods or raw materials with no symptoms of the disease and international cargo and passenger transport operators are not required to undergo a coronavirus test or self-isolate upon entry.
  • They are allowed to immediately travel abroad again.

Person with symptoms

  • Persons with symptoms must self-isolate for at least 10 days and get tested for the coronavirus.
  • You can get tested at the border (Terminals A and D of the port, Tallinn Airport, Narva, Koidula and Luhamaa border crossing points) or at testing points.
  • You can make an appointment for a test by calling +372 678 0000 (Mon-Fri 9-17).
  • Estonian citizens and residents can get tested free of charge whilst foreign nationals are charged for the test.

What do I need to know about border control of recreational craft?

  • Border control is not applied to persons on recreational craft arriving at or departing from a port in the European Union.
  • Free access to ports that are not border crossing points is allowed.
  • Recreational craft may be physically searched to prevent illegal immigration.
  • When you arrive in Estonia, please check the information and obligations related to entry to the country on the Foreign Ministry’s website.
  • When leaving Estonia, check the websites of foreign embassies and foreign ministries to be familiar with the rules that apply upon arrival (e.g. isolation obligation).

What should be kept in mind in the case of carriage of goods not subject to authorisation?

International carriage of goods and carriage of cargoes not subject to authorisation is permitted.

Carriage of goods for a fee

The driver must have:

  • a certified copy of the licence issued to the carrier of an EU or EEA Member State;
  • the consignment document (CMR or loading list);
  • a transport authorisation or a CEMT transport authorisation if the goods are transported from Estonia to a third country or from a third country to Estonia by a carrier from Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden or Finland.

When entering Estonia with an empty vehicle, you must prove why and where you’re driving to pick up cargo (e.g. transport order).

People directly involved in the carriage of goods are exempt from movement restrictions.

Own-account transport

The driver must have the document relating to the cargo which certifies that the cargo is the property of the company which arranges the own-account transport or has been bought, sold, repaired, extracted or processed by that company.

Own-account transport is also subject to the requirements set in Article 1(5)(d) of European Union Regulation (EC) No 1072/2009.

People directly involved in the carriage of goods are exempt from movement restrictions.

How can I get medical care in Europe?

  • In the case of minor health issues, you can get primary medical advice by calling the Estonian GP helpline, which is available 24h a day and offers help in Estonian and Russian. You should contact your next of kin and then your insurance company if you fall ill or suffer an accident. If necessary, the consul can advise you on where to get the medical care you need in your country of location and inform your next of kin in Estonia at your request.
  • In most European countries, people who have Estonian health insurance are given necessary medical assistance on the same grounds as the people living in these countries (incl. in the case of the coronavirus).
  • Necessary medical assistance means that you developed an unexpected medical condition when abroad and need treatment (i.e. you didn’t go abroad specifically to receive treatment).
  • In order to receive treatment, go to a doctor in a national medical institution, as the European Health Insurance Card is only accepted in medical institutions belonging to the national system.
  • Bring your identity document and the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a replacement card. If you don't have either of these, you must apply for a replacement of the European Health Insurance Card as soon as you go to the hospital or doctor.
  • You must pay certain expenses related to necessary medical assistance (appointment fee, daily bed charge) as well as transport between countries, etc., which will not be reimbursed.
  • You should always have travel insurance with medical assistance cover when you travel abroad, as it will cover any unexpected medical expenses.
  • If you have the European Health Insurance Card as well as travel insurance, you will only be billed for the cost-sharing, which you can then submit to your private insurer.

Last updated: 15.11.2021