Travelling abroad from Estonia

Check the border crossing requirements of the countries of transit and destination, and assess the necessity of your trip. Keep in mind that countries may establish preventive measures at short notice in order to stop the spread of new strains of the virus (incl. cancellation of direct flights, changes in the conditions of crossing the border, etc.). You will find information on the conditions of entering other countries on the Reisi Targalt website.

Restrictions in force

In order to avoid the spread of the virus and getting infected, to protect the life and health of the people and to ensure the functioning of the society, it is necessary to follow the enacted restrictions and guidelines. The Government of the Republic in co-operation with the Scientific Advisory Board does a weekly assessment of the virus risk in the country and enacts or eases the measures according to the risk level.

All restrictions »

  • Check the infection rate in the country of destination on the Foreign Ministry’s website before you start planning a trip.
  • Make sure you’re aware of the possible travel restrictions in the country of destination: check the information of the country on the Reisi Targalt website and the EU ReOpen portal and contact the foreign representation of the country of destination to get further information.
  • Register your trip at the Foreign Ministry’s Reisi Targalt website, so we can notify you of possible travel restrictions.
  • Follow the recommendations of the Health Board on safe flying so as to protect your own health and that of others. If you have any symptoms of the disease, postpone your trip and contact your doctor.
  • Take out travel insurance and read the insurance terms carefully to make sure that the insurance also covers travel disruptions caused by the Covid-19 pandemic and treatment of the illness caused by the coronavirus in a foreign hospital.
  • Follow the instructions issued by the authorities in the country or countries you travel to and keep yourself up to date on possible new restrictions.
  • Many countries and several airlines also require the SARS-CoV-2 test certificate from transit passengers. This means that if you contract the coronavirus in a foreign country, you may be unable to return to Estonia for a long time and have to stay in the foreign country until you recover.
  • When you return from your trip, follow the rules that have been established in Estonia, monitor your condition and contact your doctor if you suspect you may have contracted the virus.

You will find information on the conditions of entering other countries on the Reisi Targalt website.

The requirement to disperse has to be taken into account in public indoor spaces. This means that, if possible, at least a two meter distance has to be kept from strangers.

In public indoor spaces it is obligatory to disinfect hands.

A mask must be worn by all persons 12 years of age and older in all indoor spaces meant for public use, including in rooms where the COVID certificate is checked (including entertainment establishments, events, cinemas, theatres, spas).

A mask must be worn in all activities where it is possible due to the nature of the work or activity.

A mask cannot be replaced by covering the nose and the mouth with a scarf, a collar, a visor or anything else. It is highly recommended to wear a medical mask or a mask considered equal to that (e.g. an FFP1-3 mask or a N95 respirator), which is effective in stopping the delta strain of the coronavirus from spreading.

A mask must, for instance, be worn in the store, in the pharmacy, in the service spaces of institutions and enterprises, at the post office, in the library, in public transport, at entertainment establishments, events, cinemas, theatres, spas – in all public indoor spaces where the nature of the activity allows it in the slightest.

If wearing a mask is contraindicated to a person due to health reasons, the person needs to prove it with a corresponding medical certificate.

In commercial and service establishments, the persons responsible for the operations, the service providers and traders on whose sales or service area the person is have to monitor that the obligation to wear a mask is adhered to. The service provider or trader has the right to not allow entry to their sales or service area to a person who refuses to wear a mask.

All persons 18 years of age and older must present a COVID certificate proving vaccination or recovery in order to participate in activities taking place in checked public spaces. A COVID certificate is valid with an identification document.

If vaccination is contraindicated to a person for health reasons, a corresponding medical certificate has to be presented in order to participate.

A COVID certificate has to be presented to participate in sports, training, youth work, hobby activities and informal education, refresher training; at sports competitions, and sports and exercise events; in saunas, spas, water parks and swimming pools; at public meetings and events, including at the theatre, at the cinema, at a concert (including a church concert), at a conference; at museums and exhibition facilities; at entertainment services; at catering establishments in order to eat and drink on the premises.

The organisers have an obligation to check the validity of the COVID certificates with an identification document of the presenter of the certificate.

A COVID certificate is not checked at outdoor events taking place on an unrestricted territory.

In employment relationships, the requirements regarding going to work, including the obligation to present a certificate, are based on the employer’s risk analysis.

People who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 are not allowed to leave their place of residence from the moment they have been diagnosed until they are declared healthy. This also applies to the residents of shelters and safe houses who have to remain in quarantine there.

Those who live with a person who has COVID-19 or who have come in contact with him have to stay in self-isolation for ten days.

It is only allowed to leave home for procuring what is necessary for everyday survival, if it is not possible to do it in any other way, and for being outdoors, if all measures to stop the possible spread of the disease are taken and the instructions of the Health Board are followed.

Self-isolation is not obligatory for close contacts who have

  • been completely vaccinated against COVID-19 and no more than a year has passed since the last dose of the vaccine
  • recovered from COVID-19 within the past six months and been declared healthy by a doctor
  • considered equal to vaccinated, i.e. received one dose of the vaccine after recovery from COVID-19, achieved maximum protection after the last dose of the vaccine and no more than one year has passed since the last dose, or been infected with COVID-19 after receiving the first dose of the vaccine, have recovered from COVID-19 and no more than one year has passed since doing the SARS-CoV-2 test confirming the diagnosis or the date when the diagnosis was confirmed.

Staying in self-isolation is also recommended for people who are vaccinated or recovered from COVID-19 but are living with a person who has been infected. In that case a person should stay home for at least five days and do distance work if possible. If it is not possible to work from home, a family doctor will issue a certificate for sick leave and the person will receive health insurance benefits.

If the close contact with the coronavirus carrier took place in a kindergarten of child care, a general education or vocational school, the children and youths who have not been vaccinated against or recovered from COVID-19 have to remain in simplified quarantine.

Estonian citizens and foreign nationals

Countries may establish preventive measures at short notice in order to stop the spread of new strains of the virus. Register your trip so that the Foreign Ministry can contact you quickly if necessary and regularly check the rules and restrictions established in your country of location by following the Reisi Targalt website and the news of the Foreign Ministry.

Read more

Cancellation and compensation of travel

The coronavirus and the associated restrictions have placed us in unpredictable situations. You have the right to a refund of the money you’ve paid for cancelled trips. You can also decide to cancel the trip yourself before travelling and get a refund for money you’ve paid.

Read more

Information given by the authorities

Reisi Targalt (Smart Travel)
Information on the conditions for crossing the border and the requirements regarding travelling abroad, as well as transit and destination countries.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs  
Information on travelling, and opening times of the foreign representations of Estonia.

The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications    
The restrictions in force in public transport, sea and air traffic, tourism and travel information, the information on crisis measures directed at entrepreneurs. 

The Police and Border Guard Board  
Changes and restrictions to crossing the border, information on the public order and identity documents.

Consumer Protection and Technical Regulatory Authority  
Consumer rights, travel insurance, e-commerce, ventilation of public spaces etc. 

Last updated: 15.11.2021